The Largest Job Portal for International Talents in the Netherlands

Knowledge Migrant (KM) Policy and KM list

Knowledge Migrant is also called Highly Skilled Migrant, or Kennismigrant (KM). If you are from non-European Union countries and want to work (not including internship) in the Netherlands, you have to become a KM and possess the KM residence permit.

To be qualified for a knowledge migrant, you need to meet the following two requirements

Your (future) employer is a recognised sponsor (be registered in the Netherlands with the Chamber of Commerce, the Tax Authority, and the Dutch Immigration Service IND). For a list of recognised companies please check here.

You have a monthly gross income that meets the highly skilled migrant criteria. For 2016, the minimum monthly gross salary for a highly skilled migrant is:

– Employees at 30 or older – € 4,240

– Employees younger than 30 – € 3,108

– Highly skilled migrant after job-seeking year for graduates/highly educated persons – € 2,228


Application procedure and time

Normally your employer will facilitate your application. Recognised companies qualify for the fast-track procedure, which means that the IND aims to decide within 2 weeks after having received an application for the TEV procedure or for a residence permit.


Validity residence permit

The residence permit is granted for the same duration as your employment contract, with a maximum of 5 years.

You are not allowed to work for another employer and own your own company in the Netherlands when being a knowledge migrant because your residence permit is tied to your employment status with your current employer.

For more information, you can visit the following IND website: